[Linux-cluster] Small Cluster, Port Trunking, To use switch or not?

Balagopal Pillai pillai at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Sep 14 00:20:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Frankie Montenegro wrote:
Well, i evaluated gfs over gnbd and bonded interfaces a few months ago and
was quite happy with the performance. But it was crashing quite often
and i didn't need the complexity of quorum and fencing issues when looking
for just a cluster file system and not high availability features. I guess
there is no way around complex fencing when every node accesses the block
device through the cluster file system. Its the same with ocfs2 too, but
fencing is much simpler with ocfs2 and less number of daemons to mess
with compared to gfs, where quite a few daemons need to come up in a
particular order.

          I have been using Lustre for almost 2 yrs now and quite happy
with it. I posted a few problems about gnbd errors before crashes, didn't
get much help. So went back to Lustre and I am still satisfied with the
choice. I was evaluating the cluster file systems for the two clusters i
finished in the past 2 months, the first one with one storage server and 6
TB of storage and second one with >65TB of available storage space with
multiple storage servers, bonding, parallel i/o and all bells and whistles. Both
run Lustre. The new version is quite easy to maintain. Since i was already
comfortable with Lustre, my opinions could be biased.

        But to be fair, the throughput of gfs over gnbd was very good. But
lack of parallel i/o and having to deal with quorum issues when all you
need is a cluster file system, make me go back to Lustre. Hope this
helps!!

Regards
Balagopal