[Linux-cluster] adding a node to a cluster

John Vijoe George johnvge at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 19:57:19 UTC 2007

I am a newbie and am trying to add a node to an existing cluster.
I am running into issues when trying to add a 4th node to a cluster of three RHEL-5 machines.
Since the /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file does not have the information (clusternode name, fence info etc) of the fourth node, I decided to run the system-config-cluster tool on a machine that is already on the cluster. When I run the system-config-cluster tool on any of the machines already on the cluster, I get the following errors:
"Because this machine is not already part of the cluster, the management tab for this application is not available". To confirm that this machine was on the cluster, I ran the cman_tool join command as follows:

[root at DL365-2 ~]# cman_tool join
cman_tool: Node is already active

1. Why is it that I am not able to obtain the management tab even when I run the system-config-cluster from a machine that is already on the cluster?

Since the above failed, I decided to add the corresponding node and fence detials manually in the cluster.conf file (and copy it to all the machines on cluster). Once I did that and ran the 'service cman start', I got an error saying that the local node name is not present in the cluster.conf. When I checked the conf file again, the node that I added disappeared after I ran cman start?

# service cman start
Starting cluster:
   Mounting configfs... done
   Starting ccsd... done
   Starting cman... failed
cman not started: Can't find local node name in cluster.conf /usr/sbin/cman_tool: aisexec daemon didn't start

2. Why is it that cluster.conf gets reset after I run cman? Is there anyway I could get it to work?

Any help in this regards is appreciated.

John G