[Linux-cluster] How do you set up a Virtual IP Service??

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Sep 27 06:19:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 04:20:05PM -0700, James Fillman wrote:

> First off, I have to say that the documentation for cluster suite is
> horrible. Trying to find explanations and examples of cluster.conf
> syntax is impossible. Where do you got learn you got configure services,
> resources, failover domains?

Start reading:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Cluster_Suite_Overview/index.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/Cluster_Suite_Overview.pdf
(2 alternatives for the same document)

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Cluster_Administration/index.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/Cluster_Administration.pdf
(2 alternatives for the same document)

http://sourceware.org/cluster/faq.html

Then create, given this documentation, a complete cluster.conf using
system-config-cluster.

> For a vip that's managed by rgmanager, I assume that it shouldn't be
> started and stopped by init upon server start/stops. That would mean NOT
> having an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.  Correct??

Correct.  It is handled by the cluster software internally and you can
not see it with "ifconfig", only with "ip addr list".

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>