[Linux-cluster] distributed file system... can we achieve effectively using linux

Hi,

How can we create a common Q drive using linux that meets the following needs ?

It should be possible to logically the common Q drive into smaller partitions, each managed by a custodian

The custodian of a partition, should be able to monitor and control the usage of a partition.

Presently, Q drives are used as shared folders at different locations over WAN. (so the network traffic and server load will be a factor, not all the files of Q - drive is required among locations.)

Present Q drives are on windows platform.

Do we have a better option over microsoft's DFS?

Thanks and Regards
Anuj