[Linux-cluster] gfs_fsck memory allocation

I'm trying to run gfs_fsck on a 16TB file system and I keep getting the following message

Initializing fsck
Unable to allocate bitmap of size 520093697
This system doesn't have enough memory + swap space to fsck this file system.
Additional memory needed is approximately: 5952MB
Please increase your swap space by that amount and run gfs_fsck again.

I have increased the swap size to 16GB but I still keep getting the message.  Does anyone have any suggestions?