Re: [Linux-cluster] How to configure Squid Server Failover in RHCS

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Mshehzad Pankhawala wrote:

Now i am testing a Squid server Failover.

One IP address (ex. 192.168.0.111) is allowed to connect to the internet directly.

I have two RHEL5 Server having Squid installed on it. and i want to configure Squid Fail over
using RHCS on those two servers. But I can't find in Resource List Resource Like Squid Server
(As like Apache Server).

After that I wrote a script to start the Squid Server And added it as Script resource but it
failed. The proble is that I am getting requests from clients at 3128 port of Squid but they
won't connect to internet at all.

I have desabled SELinux and Firewall from the begning of this testing.

Squid can be rather funny with what IP addresses/interfaces it binds to. I've found it works in a hot-failover setup (always runs on both servers) if you tell it to bind to a port without specifying the IPs (so it binds to all interfaces/IPs), and just fail over the IP - no need to bother specifying the fail-over service. Mind you, same holds true for Apache - you might as well have your servers as a load-balanced pair, rather than warm spare fail-over.

Gordan