[Linux-cluster] Load balancing clustered services

rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 18 13:22:54 UTC 2008

Both the RHCS page and your assessment are correct.  Keep in mind that
RHCS / GFS provide the host framework for applications to leverage for
high availability and/or scalability  -- simply installing and running
them alone are not enough.

What you use for hardware, what your application is capable of doing
within this environment, and its IMPLEMENTATION determine whether you
are attempting to achieve high availability and/or scalability.  At the
very least, you will have a better solution in place than running a
single monolithic server.

A simple example, if you run a monolithic database instance, and simply
want fail-over to another node, the resource group manager's policy for
that clustered services can do this for you -- without any manual
intervention -- such as moving its IP and disk resources and restarting
the database.  That IS THE BEST availability you can get out of such a
design.  And this does nothing to increase scalability.

But expand this use-case by implementing a database that was built for
high availability -- such as Cache ECP or Oracle RAC -- then such an
outage on one node (planned or unplanned) will be managed by RHCS / GFS
architecture to provide for 100% uptime.  But, you also get scalability
as a positive outcome from this same infrastructure AND implementation.

We are using RHCS / GFS to manage a Cache ECP environment.  The
production application / database is not split yet into multiple tiers,
but it is shadowed for quick fail-over.  Until it is broken up over
several servers, we will never achieve ~100% uptime ... there will
always be that downtime during service transitioning, planned or
unplanned.

We are also using RHCS only to front-end Peoplesoft (BEA WebLogic) for
high-availability, but implemented as an active-active server pair.
True, it also serves for scalability, even though a single server can
easily handle our load.  But if something happens to one server (runaway
process(es) from a bad script, bad application, etc.), we can shut it
down without interrupting service.

Hope this helps.

Robert Hurst, Sr. Caché Administrator
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
1135 Tremont Street, REN-7
Boston, Massachusetts   02120-2140
617-754-8754 ∙ Fax: 617-754-8730 ∙ Cell: 401-787-3154