[Linux-cluster] cman_tool flags: dirty follow up question

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 08:58:12 UTC 2008

Brett Cave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrading the RPM's on Centos5, i get Flags: Dirty on cman_tool
> status. Found a post on this list from May just before I joined. A
> follow up to this topic.
>
> Chrissie: It's a perfectly normal state. in fact it's expected if you
> are running services. It simply means that the cluster has some
> services running that have state of their own that cannot be recovered
> without a full restart. I would be more worried if you did NOT see
> this in cman_tool status. It's NOT a warning. don't worry about it :)
>

> Prior to upgrading my cman and gfs-utils, I was getting "flags: ". The
> cluster is not running any services other than the internal fence and
> dlm ones (cman_tool services shows fence only).
>
> There was an update to cvs last year September where the flag was
> added, so I'm guessing that this might resolve the issue. (Think by
> Chrissie again).
>
> Don't quite understand "This node has internal state and must not join
> a cluster that also has state" description of dirty flag though, does
> this mean that because the node is part of a cluster it has state? And
> that only a stateless node can join a cluster with state? (or if the
> cluster doesn't have state, then the node will be the first one in the
> cluster to start up...).

The Dirty flag is set by services when they realise they have a state
they can't combine with an existing cluster. This is usually the DLM or
GFS in a Red Hat cluster. When a node first starts up it has no state
and can join in with other cluster nodes that do. It can then create its
own state quite happily because it can tell the other nodes about it.

The situation this flag is designed to prevent is if two cluster split
up for a short period of time and then rejoin soon - usually less the
the time it takes for fencing to take effect or maybe the cluster is
split evenly so that neither half has quorum. When this occurs each half
does not know what the other half has been up to during the split, and
so the two halves cannot be allowed to join in a cluster together again
for fear of corrupting each other's state.

This results in the dreaded "Disallowed" state that you might see
(though I hope not). It's usually caused by bad network configuration,
or excessive traffic. Fiddling with the totem parameters (CAREFULLY!)
can alleviate it.

Chrissie