[Linux-cluster] gfs over raid/lvm or any other option?

Alex linux at vfemail.net
Mon Aug 25 09:23:52 UTC 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008 20:12, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Alex <linux at vfemail.net> writes:
> > If on one machine i have 8 block devices (/deb/sda, /dev/sdb, ...
> > /dev/sdg, dev/sdh) imported via iscsi from 8 different computers
> > (computerX) can i group volumes two by two using raid1 and after that to
> > join resulted /dev/md0 up to md3 in one logical volume and run GFS on
> > top?
>
> You can aggregate iSCSI devices by mdadm only on one node at a time.
> That is, the Linux software RAID is not cluster aware.  You can use it
> in HA, though.  For what you want, check out ddraid or distributed
> file systems like Coda or Lustre.

Dear Ferenc,

Many thanks for your reply. Regarding $subj, i know about ddraid. I found it
before my post. Unfortunatelly, this project is still in alpha (not
production quality) and seems to be abandoned or freezed ...

Coda is looking like a dead project, it is moving very slowly (unpredictable
development on stable kernel-2.6 and probably few commits per year).

Finally, i agree with you: lustre is the solution...

Regards,
Alx