[Linux-cluster] VMware over GFS?

Diego Liziero diegoliz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 10:06:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM, lists at grounded.net <lists at grounded.net> wrote:
>> By now I'm able to suspend all vm on a node, stop the vmware server
>> that hosted them, start another vmware server on another node and
>> resume them there.
>
> This could work also, though it's not redundancy, it's more of a backup solution.
> The  issue with this is that win machines seem to complain about being moved
> from one  server to another and require re-activating.
>
> It's possible that this was because I might have changed a hardware setting in
> the  guest which caused this to happen, rather than the move from one VM
> server to another. I'll have to test that.

Maybe, btw I had another issue with linux guests and vmware server
2.0: after moving them to another node, vmware required to register
them again.
I had to play here with .vmx options and moving some /etc/vmware files
to clustered gfs  to avoid this. And vmware server 1.0.x seems more
stable here.

For relocating the guests to another cluster node I did a custom
script that first tries to suspend the guests, if it fails, it powers
off them, then stops the vmware daemons, and everything is ready for a
new node vmware server to start with the same guests.

Regards,
Diego.