[Linux-cluster] GFS upgrade questions

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 11:18:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Diego Liziero wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Kadlecsik Jozsef wrote:
>>>
>>> We are planning to upgrade our stable - but relative old - GFS1 cluster
>>> to the new version of the stable branch. However as this will be our first
>>> GFS1 upgrade, it's pretty unknown to us and there are some questions
>>> about it I'd like to ask:
>>> [..]
>>> This is cluster-2.02.00 with openais-0.80.3.
>>
>> So your best upgrade path is to get latest openais-0.80.X serie and
>> cluster-2.03.xx.
>>
>> You should be able to upgrade one node at a time without issues. If it
>> doesn't work as expected it is a bug so please make sure to notify us ASAP.
>
> Does this answer apply to the same upgrade but starting from current
> CentOS/RHEL 5.2?
>
> openais-0.80.3-15.el5
> cman-2.0.84-2.el5_2.2
> kmod-gfs-PAE-0.1.23-5.el5_2.4
> gfs-utils-0.1.17-1.el5

If you are running RHEL or CentOS, you have no reason to upgrade.

the RHEL packages and the STABLE2 branch (cluster-2.03.xx) receives the
same set of bug fixes.

The main (and only) difference are the kernel modules. What comes with
RHEL/CentOS is built for that kernel/release combination while
cluster-2.03.xx follow upstream kernels (2.6.27 at this point in time).

Upgrading from what CentOS/RHEL to corosync/cluster-3.0.0.alpha1 has the
same problematics as described before.

Fabio