[Linux-cluster] no version for "gfs2_unmount_lockproto"

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 19:06:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 12:46 -0600, Brian Kroth wrote:
> I'm curious.  Are there plans to include this patch in the mainline?  Any
> reasons why or why not?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Hi Brian,

That's a gfs2 patch, and gfs2 "mainline" is the upstream git tree from
kernel.org.  We've never tried to add that patch to the upstream kernel
because we figured it would be rejected by the upstream community.
Those people likely wouldn't accept the suggestion that it should be
added "just in case someone wants to run out-of-tree gfs on top of
gfs2."  After all, the patch is really only useful if gfs (vers. 1) is
required, but gfs is not part of that upstream kernel.

>From what I've heard, the Fedora community doesn't really accept
anything along those lines anymore either.  So far they've let us get
away with it, but I've heard that it's unacceptable for us going
forward (Fedora 9 or 10?  I'm not sure where the cutoff is). So lately
we've been discussing whether/how to separate out the gfs1 and gfs2
infrastructure so that there isn't that crossover.  That issue is still
work-in-progress.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat GFS