[Linux-cluster] Redundant (multipath)/Replicating NFS

isplist at logicore.net isplist at logicore.net
Fri Feb 15 22:37:14 UTC 2008

> If you have 2 NFS server you need replicated and failed over, you can
> use DRBD to replicate a virtual block device. You can have this in

I'm looking on the net about this and it looks interesting. I see that it is
available as RPM's but I don't see it as being part of RHEL? Is this something
that will run on one or more servers? I can't actually run anything on the NFS
servers since they are embedded OS's on hardware. I;m using NAS servers
offering up NFS shares from pools of RAID FC storage.

I'd like to use something like this for the web data that the web servers need
access to. Your aggregator suggestion is what I've decided upon for the larger
ongoing needs of media storage.

Static web stuff as above is relatively easy to deal with using the right
tools but I'm trying to figure out how to deal with large amounts of media
data. Obviously, I don't want users to lose their pictures, videos, files,
work, etc.

What are your thoughts on even bothering to replicate when using RAID storage
devices to begin with? They are highly reliable as it is, using 12 drives,
hard to imagine a loss off data.
I have huge amounts of tape storage using robot libraries with multiple drives
but still, that doesn't seem like the way to deal with the media. Setting up
fully redundant storage seems to be a doubling of costs no matter how I cut it
so I am at a loss on how to deal with media.

Mike