[Linux-cluster] General LDAP clustering question

James Chamberlain jamesc at exa.com
Tue Feb 26 14:28:42 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,

> Has anybody experiences in clustering LDAP Server? I am thinking about having
> a GFS location where one LDAP Database is located and two LDAP Server nodes
> are accessing.

I'd recommend you look at replication rather than trying to do this through
Red Hat Cluster Suite.

> Is it possible to have both of them up and running (active/activ) or is this
> configuration not recommended?

I don't have any information about OpenLDAP, but I do know that Red Hat
Directory Server and Fedora Directory Server both support up to four-way
multi-master replication.  Red Hat has a very nice class on RHDS/FDS, and
you can find FDS at:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

> Maybe it is only possible to have one up and running and start the other
> service as soon as fencing occours?

You might be able to have RHCS restart the LDAP service on each node, but
they should have replicated, rather than shared, databases.

Regards,

James