[Linux-cluster] is clvm a must all the time in a cluster ?

Roger Peña orkcu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 02:55:36 UTC 2008

--- Steffen Plotner <swplotner at amherst.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You asked below: can I run the cluster with GFS
> without clvmd? The answer is yes. I believe in
> having the least number of components running, and
> found that clvmd had start up problems (and then
> refuses to stop) after doing an update of RHEL4
> during December.

I apply those updates this month so I guess I am
seeing the same as you

> It is clearly possible to use GFS directly on a SAN
> based LUN.
I know that but, as you already said, the problem is
"having a uniq name for the filesystem to all the
nodes"

>The trick of course is how to deal with
> the /dev/sdb reference which will probably not be
> the same on all hosts. To fix that use udev rules
> that provide a symlink (using the serial number of
> the LUN, for example) by which the GFS file system
> can be referred to in /etc/fstab.

I am sure udev rules works but definitly seting that
enviroment is more complex that use a LV :-)
so, what happen is I use the shared LV just as a local
LV?
each node will treated the same way as it treat the LV
from the local disks. I guess that will not be a
problem as far as I do not work with the VG metadata,
am I right?

> We have converted 2 clusters in the past few months
> because we have had real problems with clvmd
> misbehaving itself during startup. At this point it
> is a pleasure to let the cluster boot by itself and
> not to have to worry about GFS file systems not
> being mounted (ccsd, cman, fenced, iscsi, gfs).

not activating LV even when clvmd is running? it
happen to me several times in the last month
;-)
that is why I want to get rid of lvm :-)

thanks

cu
roger

RedHat Certified ( RHCE )