[Linux-cluster] GFS performance

Kamal Jain kjain at aurarianetworks.com
Fri Jan 4 16:16:47 UTC 2008

Ah ha!  I think this is starting to make sense now, Wendy.

And thank you for the explanation of why we should be using DLM rather than GULM.

So without the patch, which we do not have, it might be good to increase demote_secs [per GFS mount] to 600 or even more seconds, and scand_secs to...what's a reasonable/safe value on that?  It sounds like without the patch all we're doing -- to paraphrase you -- is reducing the frequency of operations which do no good and cause harm in the form of CPU and I/O resource usage.

The patch is built into RHEL 4.6 and 5.1, right?  When are those expected to be available (we only care about 4.6 right now) and/or how do we get the standalone patch?

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and information.

- K