[Linux-cluster] Fence don't work with HP iLo2 (fw.1.42

tameikareed tameikareed at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 12 16:24:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

Do you have IPMI turned on in your kernel.  It should be if you didn't
recompile your kernel, but it not you can install that module.  As far
as recompiling your kernel, RedHat does not support that so you will
have to download the vanilla kernel from kernel.org.  This will be the
source kernel.  Once you have that I would open up a second screen and
do a make menuconfig on the kernel that you do have installed under
/usr/src/kernels/<kernel-version>. In the other screen install the
source kernel with rpm -ivh <kernel src version>. Then build the kernel
by going over to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and doing rpmbuild -bp
kernel<version>.spec.  Below is a list of options:

        -ba    Build binary and source packages (after doing the %prep,
%build, and %install stages).

       -bb    Build a binary package (after doing the %prep, %build, and
%install stages).

       -bp    Executes the "%prep" stage from the spec file. Normally
this involves unpacking the sources and applying any patches.

       -bc    Do  the "%build" stage from the spec file (after doing the
%prep stage).  This generally involves the equivalent of a "make".

       -bi    Do the "%install" stage from the spec file (after doing
the %prep and %build stages).  This generally involves the equivalent
              of a "make install".

       -bl    Do  a  "list check".  The "%files" section from the spec
file is macro expanded, and checks are made to verify that each file
              exists.
After that you need to make a symbolic link over in the /usr/src/kernel/
directory linking back to your source directory of the
kernel.(/usr/src/kernels/BUILD)

As far as with HP hardware, you can look on the disk. Or check this link
out:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&mode=3&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I25296

I would go with the HP drivers . This should have came in hpasm package.
I have include the instructions from the hp site:

*Installation:*
Login as the system administrator (root), download the RPM to a
directory on your hard drive and change to that directory.

If a previous version of the hp-OpenIPMI package has been installed, it
must be removed before this package can be installed. To remove the
previous version and any packages dependent on it, type the following:

      rpm -e hp-OpenIPMI

To install the package, type:

      rpm -ivh hp-OpenIPMI-< version >.rpm

The drivers will be installed to the /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI directory but
not inserted. For HP ProLiant servers, the hpasm package will
automatically load the hp-OpenIPMI drivers if required for a particular
HP ProLiant server.

Additional information and help is available by typing either of the
following:

      man hp-OpenIPMI

Additional information about features, installation, use, and
troubleshooting the HP Server Management Drivers and Agents is available
in the HOWTO documents available here:
http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/documentation.html.

Well hope this helps,
Tameika