[Linux-cluster] Tiebreaker IP Address

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Wed Jan 23 05:05:14 UTC 2008

> As you said, Fencing is a nice way of saying "make sure the non-responsive
> node can not write anything to our disks, by whatever means necessary".
> This usually involves the equivalent of pulling the power plug out of the
> non-responsive node.  Why be so harsh?  Why not do a normal shutdown?

A "normal" shutdown will always flush buffers to disk.  The most important
thing is the integrity of our data.  If the cluster has determined the
node is not functioning properly, we don't want to give it the opportunity
to write bad/corrupted data to our disk.  By "pulling the plug" it will
not be able to do so.

> So does that means that even in any case of cluster failure (suppose a
> network fail), the node will shutdown abnormally only, or it will be a clean
> shutdown. And once a node is shutdown due to a failure, will the node
> automatically come up or does it need to be manually brought up.

As mentioned before, fencing is "pulling the plug" .. if fencing is set up
correctly, the node will reboot and rejoin the cluster.

Barry