[Linux-cluster] architecture discussion -- NFS clustering with iSCSI

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 01:36:27 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 6:12 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Am 27.01.2008 um 23:02 schrieb Terry:
>

> > Well, I am having a heck of a time wrapping my head around how
> > clustering and gfs are related.  My application is an N+1 type of
> > configuration (grid computing).  I don't need any application
> > clustering that cluster suite offers.  I just need a file system that
> > they can all mount in read/write.
>

> People I have talked to, who have grid-computing requirements,
> generally avoid GFS (because of the complexity) and choose NFS.
>
> Do you have concurrent writes to the same file from different nodes?
> How many nodes do you have?
> There are products tailored for this scenario (Isilon, Panasas)....
>

> cheers,
> Rainer
> --
> Rainer Duffner
> CISSP, LPI, MCSE
> rainer at ultra-secure.de

Good questions:
1) Do you have concurrent writes to the same file from different nodes?
  1a) No
2) How many nodes do you have?
  2a) 3 to start, probably won't go beyond 12

I appreciate alternative ideas to NFS.  NFS could possibly introduce
performance issues (comments here appreciated).  The majority of the
system is write.  I would say 80%.