Re: [Linux-cluster] architecture discussion -- NFS clustering with iSCSI

In an active-standby NFS cluster scenario, is GFS still required as
the format for the data drives?  I would be using a 2 node cluster so
I would need a quorum disk too.  Since only 1 node will have access at
any one time, could I get away with ext3 (or whatever) formatted
volumes?

As long as you can absolutely guarantee that no more than 1 node will
mount the volume, yes, you can use ext3.

Along the same note, I am going to ask an obvious question and answer
it myself.  :)   In an active-active, this would definitely need to be
GFS formatted, correct?

Yes.

Gordan

Only in very strange situations (bug) would 2 nodes want to read/write
to the same file.  That being said, the cluster service would also
prevent this too, correct?

No. GFS requires clustering to be up and running. ext3 doesn't. Cluster would in no way stop you from mounting the same iSCSI volume on both nodes and mounting the same ext3 fs from both of them. You'll just notice that the data gets completely trashed in very short order.

Gordan