Re: [Linux-cluster] noatime

Have a look at this link, it looks related:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#gfs_speed1
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#gfs_slowaftermount

As I understand it, basically the first node to access a file must do some
lock checks - see if anyone has already locked it, attempt to lock it, let
the other nodes know about it, etc.

After this, the lock should be cached for a period.  There are some tips
about that here:
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#gfs_tuning

I personally, have some nagios/heartbeat checks setup that, among other
things, touch a file on the GFS mount (.${HOSTNAME}-check), just to make
sure it's still alive, else warn me that I need to poke it.  I'm not
positive, but I have a feeling that this keeps things "fresh".  Perhaps it
will help your problem as well.

Brian