Re: [Linux-cluster] DLM Problem

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, jr wrote:

You could just try it without LVM alltogether. LVM is entirely optional in
this.
I didn't know that to be honest. I think you had mentioned it in another post.
Since day one my understanding was that GFS had to be set up using LVM.
What are the steps to creating a GFS volume without LVM?

hi there,
it's easy: don't make that disk/slice/raid/whatever an lvmvolume with
pvcreate but just run gfs_mkfs on the plain blockdevice.
but as this looks like a way weirder locking issue, gfs might not run at
all either.
oh, and you won't be able to grow your gfs without lvm, ofcourse.

A lot of RAID systems these days (including Linux's software RAID) can dynamically add a device to the array, and once that is integrated you can gfs_grow the file system to fill the newly available space.

Gordan