[Linux-cluster] Cluster starts, but a node won't rejoin after reboot

Jeremy Lyon jerlyon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 21:13:33 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post the fix that we found for this issue.

The problem was that RHEL 5.x (3, and 4 too) uses IGMPv3 by default and our
network is only using IGMPv2.  The server would send out an IGMPv3 packet
that was ignored by the network and would not actually get to join any
multicast groups until the network devices would send out a broadcast to see
if any host wanted to join a multicast group.

I added the following to the sysctl.conf's of each node in the cluster and
this issue has gone away.

# Force IGMPv2 due to Network environment
net.ipv4.conf.default.force_igmp_version = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.force_igmp_version = 2

-Jeremy