[Linux-cluster] RHEL5.0 Cluster fencing problems involving bonding

doobs72 _ doobs72 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 19:33:14 UTC 2008

Hi

 I’m having fencing problems in my 3 node cluster running on RHEL5.0 which involves bonding.

I have 3 severs A, B & C in a cluster with bonding configured on eth2 & eth3 for my cluster traffic.  The config is as below:

DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond1
SLAVE=yes
USRCTL=no

DEVICE=eth3
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond1
SLAVE=yes
USRCTL=no

DEVICE=bond1
IPADDR=192.168.x.x
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.x.0
BROADCAST=192.168.x.255
ONBOOT=YES
BOOTPROTO=none

The /etc/modprobe.conf file is configured as below:

alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
alias eth4 e1000
alias eth5 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter cciss
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=active-backup max_bonds=3
alias bond1 bonding
options bond1 miimon=100 mode=active-backup
alias bond2 bonding
options bond2 miimon=100 mode=active-backup
alias scsi_hostadapter1 qla2xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter2 usb-storage

The cluster starts up OK, however when I try to test the bonded interfaces my troubles begin.
On Node C if I "ifdown bond1", the node C, is fenced and everything works as expected.

However if on Node C, I take down the interfaces one at a time i.e.
 "ifdown  eth2", - the cluster stays up as expected using eth3 for routing traffic
  "ifdown eth3"
then node C is fenced by Node A. However in the /var/log/messages file on Node C I see a message saying that Node B will be fenced. The outcome is Nodes C & B are fenced.

My question is why does node B get fenced as well?

 D.