[Linux-cluster] getting rhcs critical events by email/snmp

Maurizio Rottin maurizio.rottin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 05:46:13 UTC 2008

2008/6/10 S. Zachariah Sprackett <zac at sprackett.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyway, since if it happen once it can happen again, is there any way
>> > to get the cluster send emails or snmp messages on nodes critical
>> > events?
>>
>> You can set syslog to do email, I think.
>
> See here for details on how:
>
> http://www.johnandcailin.com/blog/john/how-setup-real-time-email-notification-critical-syslog-events

may i say this is an horrible solution!?(even if it is a solution)

this means i must setup some cron job consuming cpu cycles for nothing
but sending a message to syslog (which sends en email). To make it
short i should setup a a cron job that consumes cpu cycles for nothing
and send email realtime(without syslog interaction)

I believe it's difficult to catch syslog mesages from rhcs, since it
send to something *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none; then it is
not something easy to catch like local5.crit.

yum searchng "snmp" i found this cluster-snmp rpm.

now i'm gonna check it out, i will write about it as soon as it is configured!

You can use syslog if you want, but i want to point out that that is a
really bad solution!

bye,

--
mr