[Linux-cluster] GFS2 nulling larger files.

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Wed Jun 18 12:48:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 08:47 -0500, Bob Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 23:47 -0400, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> > So, everything was running well, but now after testing somewhat, when I copy files to the GFS2 partition, the files larger than 2.9K, but smaller than 4.3K get nulled.
>
> We're already aware of the problem and are working on it.
> We know kind of what's going on and which set of patches
> broke it.  Basically, we rewrote some of the block allocation
> code for performance reasons and that's the bit having the problem.
>
> It seems to be a problem only in the upstream code; the GFS2 code
> in RHEL5.2 has the old allocation code, so it doesn't have the
> problem.  So a fix shouldn't be too far off.  Part of the
> problem, though, is that Steve Whitehouse is on holiday, so
> we're short-handed and any fixes we develop would have to be
> pushed to the git tree by him.

Yesterday, Ben Marzinski posted a patch for this problem to the public
cluster-devel mailing list.  It can be found here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2008-June/msg00114.html

It is still not available in the upstream GIT tree due to Steve
still being on vacation/holiday.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Clustering & GFS