[Linux-cluster] Info & documentation on configuring Power Fencing using IBM RSA II (x3850/3950 M2 servers )

GS R gsrlinux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 08:47:26 UTC 2008

sunhux G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been googling to look for step by step guide on how to configure
> IBM RSA II for power fencing in an RHES 5.1  environment.
>
> Is it just as simple as this one page instruction below :
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/s1-config-fence-devices.html
>

> Some questions :
>
> a)how do we get the "Add a New Fence Device" screen?  Is it
> somewhere on the
>    Redhat Gnome desktop that I can click to bring it up?
No. It's not anywhere in RedHat Gnome. You will have to use Conga OR
system-config-cluster OR enter it manually.

> b)the factory default IP addr of the RSA II  LAN port is
> 192.168.70.125/24 <http://192.168.70.125/24>.
>    What's the IP addr I can input in the above "Add New Fence Device"
>    screen - must it be 192.168.70.x  (within same subnet as
> 192.168.70.125 <http://192.168.70.125>)?
It's the IP address assigned to the IPMI port and not the network.

> c)do we repeat the same step("Add New Fence Device") for every RHES
>    server in the cluster & is the same IP address/login id being input for
>    each of the servers in the cluster?
New fence device is added only once. However, you need to assign this
fence device to all the nodes in your cluster.

> The link below only gives a little concept, not actual configuration
> guide :
> http://www.centos.org/docs/4/4.5/SAC_Cluster_Suite_Overview/s2-fencing-overview-CSO.html
>

> Any other links/information is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Thanks
Gowrishankar Rajaiyan