[Linux-cluster] virtual machine failover with gfs

matt whiteley whiteley at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 25 22:51:53 UTC 2008

I have spent lots of hours trying different setups and reading the
documentation already so I hope this isn't a faq as I am new to the
list.

I read the Red Hat Magazine article on this topic[1], but have come to
realize that it might not be exactly what I am going for. I want to
have a group of nodes that run a group of virtual machines with
automated failover. I set things up how the article described but
realized I didn't want the gfs mount in the fstab file. I would like
the gfs mount described in the cluster.conf file so that as nodes are
added or removed the mount will follow the changes (I know about the 1
journal per node so have created a few extra already). When I add a
service to mount the gfs resource, it only gets mounted on one node as
is to be expected thinking in terms of other resources.

I started thinking about this and it almost seems like gfs is
unnecessary. Should I have a file system per virtual machine that
wouldn't need to be gfs since only one node will ever run a virtual
machine at a time? Then mount/umount the file system as the virtual
machine was migrated in the cluster?

It seems like I am missing something about how this should be setup
and I would really appreciate any tips or ideas. I will include my
cluster.conf in case it provides any more info.

As a side note, what is with all the errors from system-config-
kickstart telling me my config file is invalid if it was generated by
conga. Both versions are updated to the newest available.