Re: R: [Linux-cluster] Performance tuning help sought

There are some TCP tuning parameters you can change in the /etc/sysctl.conf. Adding these made a noticeable improvement for us. Also, if you use any NFS, set your rsize and wsize = 32768 (NFS mount options) in a Linux 2.6 kernel. The noatime mount option appears to work well. We have abandoned ext3 for filesystems > 1Tb in favor of reiserfs and jfs. These other filesytems appear to give better performance in a cluster environment. If you use gfs as the filesystem, then the above point is moot.

http://dsd.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html

http://www.nren.nasa.gov/tcp_tuning.html

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html