[Linux-cluster] Node(s) belonging to 2 clusters?

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 08:35:20 UTC 2008

Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 14:40 -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 14:17 -0500, rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu wrote:
>>> This may bot be a trivial thing to configure, but does RHEL 4.6 CS allow for 1 or more servers to belong to 1 or more clusters?  Such as starting multiple cman, but just pointing it to use the appropriate cluster.conf.  Are there different port assignments required to avoid network I/O conflicts?  Just asking out loud, thanks.
>> Nope.
>
> That is, no, I don't think you can do it.  Remember that CMAN runs in
> the kernel in RHEL4.

No. Just don't even try it! It's far more complicated than just the
communication ports between nodes. The communications between subsystems
and cman on the node itself. How does a program know which cluster it is
working for (if any)? can it cope with being in more than one cluster?
What happens with fencing?

These are all solvable problems, of course. but each one is non-trivial
in itself.

--

Chrissie