[Linux-cluster] ZEN with GFS

Bernard Chew bernard.chew at muvee.com
Tue Mar 11 06:46:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

Just to share,

In my production environment, I've 5 physical hosts connecting to a
central shared storage (MD3000i) using iscsi. 2 virtual disks were
created in the MD3000i; a 200GB virtual disk for 10 xen guest images
(Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, etc), and a 1TB virtual disk for data storage.
Both virtual disks are formatted with GFS. The first virtual disk is
mounted in the dom0 cluster (containing all the physical hosts) and 2
xen guests are started in each host from the shared storage. The 1TB
virtual disk is then mounted after the domU cluster (containing all the
virtual guests) is up.

The multipath works nicely for the 1TB data virtual disk, and the
virtual guests have no problems accessing the data storage in the event
of failover. The same cannot be say for the 200GB virtual disk that
contains the xen guest images because the virtual guests will freeze in
the event of failover.

I'm still trying to access if I need the automated failover of
virtualized guests feature. If not, I'll probably keep 2 virtual guests
on each physical host instead.

Regards,
Bernard Chew