[Linux-cluster] GFS2 Quota File Error

Abhijith Das adas at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 19:18:31 UTC 2008

Hi Steven,
Here are some things you could try.
1. comment out the gfs2 entry in /etc/fstab and mount only one gfs2 fs
on only one node and perform the reset and init.
2. I wonder if this happens in a freshly created gfs2 fs. Just for
sanity, try this:
    if you have a spare device, use that or create a file (and mount
loopback)
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1024 count=1048576
    Use the 'nolock' locking protocol. This will make your filesystem
single-node
        mkfs.gfs2 -j 1 -p lock_nolock -t foo:bar /tmp/foo
    If you're not using a loopback device, you can remove 'loop' below.
        mount -t gfs2 -o loop,quota=on /tmp/foo /mnt/bar
        gfs2_quota reset -f /mnt/bar
        gfs2_quota init -f /mnt/bar

If in both these cases you see the warning, we have a bug. You can go
ahead and file one against me at bugzilla.redhat.com
It would really help if you can dump the device containing the
filesystem to a file, compress it and post it somewhere. If that's not
possible,
I'd like to take a look at the hidden quota file. 'mount -t gfs2meta
/dev/gfs2-device /mnt/gfs2-metamount' will mount the gfs2 meta filesystem.
(You should have the gfs2 filesystem already mounted before you attempt
mounting gfs2meta). There should be a quota file under this
mount that you can copy and send out. I should warn you though that the
meta mount is only used by the gfs2_utils to manipulate
gfs2 metadata and must not be used as a normal filesystem. You should
unmount the metafs as soon as you're done with it.

Thanks,
--Abhi