[Linux-cluster] Unformatting a GFS cluster disk

DRand at amnesty.org DRand at amnesty.org
Wed Mar 26 10:05:27 UTC 2008

Hi Bob,

Great, thanks for your info! The disk was previously a GFS disk and we
reformatted it with exactly the same mkfs command both times. Here are
more details. We are running the cluster on a Netapp SAN device.

1) mkfs.gfs -J 1024 -j 4 -p lock_gulm -t aicluster:cmsgfs /dev/sda [100Gb
device]
2) Copy lots of files to the disk
3) gfs_grow /san   [Extra 50Gb extension added to device]
4) Copy lots of files to the disk
5) mkfs.gfs -J 1024 -j 4 -p lock_gulm -t aicluster:cmsgfs /dev/sda

I have now read about resource groups and the GFS ondisk structure here..
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2006-August/msg00324.html

A couple more questions if you don't mind...

What exactly would the mkfs command have done? Would the mkfs command have
overwritten the resource group headers from the previous disk structure?
Or does it just wipe the superblock and journals?

If the resource group headers still exist shouldn't they have a
characteristic structure we could identify enabling us to put 0xFF in only
the correct places on disk?

Also is there anyway we can usefully depend on this information. Or would
mkfs have wiped these special inodes too?

+ * A few special hidden inodes are contained in a GFS filesystem.  They
do
+ * not appear in any directories; instead, the superblock points to them
+ * using block numbers for their location.  The special inodes are:
+ *
+ *   Root inode:  Root directory of the filesystem
+ *   Resource Group Index:  A file containing block numbers and sizes of
all RGs
+ *   Journal Index:  A file containing block numbers and sizes of all
journals
+ *   Quota:  A file containing all quota information for the filesystem
+ *   License:  A file containing license information

In particular there is one 11Gb complete backup tar.gz on the disk
somewhere. I'm thinking if we could write some custom utility that
recognizes the gfs on disk structure and extracts very large files from
it?

Damon.
Working to protect human rights worldwide

DISCLAIMER
Internet communications are not secure and therefore Amnesty International Ltd does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or rely on the information in this e-mail. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Amnesty International Ltd unless specifically stated. Electronic communications including email might be monitored by Amnesty International Ltd. for operational or business reasons.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Postini.
www.postini.com