[Linux-cluster] How do you verify/test fencing?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue May 6 21:35:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 14:37 -0600, Gary Romo wrote:

> Is there a command that you can run to test/veryify that fencing is
> working properly?
> Or that it is part of the fence if you will?
> I realize that the primary focus of the fence is to shut off the other
> server(s).
> However, when I have a cluster up, how can I determine that all of my
> nodes are properly fenced?

I'm not sure exactly how to answer the question.  Fencing is used to cut
a node off; if all nodes are fenced, no one can access shared storage ;)

* For testing whether or not fencing works, stop the cluster software on
all the nodes and run 'fence_node <nodename>' (where nodename is a host
you're not working on).

* For testing whether or not a node will be fenced as a matter of
recovery, try 'cman_tool services'.  If that node's ID isn't in the
"fence" section, it will not be fenced if it fails.

(Note that mounting a GFS file system will fail if the node is not a
part of the "fence" service.)

Let me know if this answers your question.

-- Lon