[Linux-cluster] Multipathd not reliably picking up GNBD devices on client machines

Jerry Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Wed May 7 16:23:06 UTC 2008

I've about run out of ideas.

I have assembled a HA stack on Redhat Cluster where a pair of machines
running DRBD in Primary/Primary mode over bonded gigabit ethernet
interfaces serve six clustered logical volumes with GFS via GNBD to four
other machines. All ethernet interfaces are bonded. I've got bonding,
GNBD, CLVMD, Multipath and DRBD all happy: Except that multipathd simply
refuses to *reliably* pick up the GNBD devices during system boot. I'll
run '/etc/init.d/multipathd reload' by hand (sometimes it takes more
than once) and it will sooner or later pick them up, but I can see no
rhyme or reason to it: Sometimes it just works, and sometimes it
doesn't. I'll boot a client machine once and everything might work fine.
I'll reboot it again, and maybe multipathd won't find the GNBD devices
(or maybe it will find _some_ of them).

Ideas?

--
Benjamin Franz