[Linux-cluster] Why GFS is so slow? What it is waiting for?

Andrew A. Neuschwander andrew at ntsg.umt.edu
Thu May 8 22:52:18 UTC 2008

I've looked at this problem a bit as well. My system is a 4Gb FC SAN with
a bonded GigE DLM dedicated network. Stat'ing 30,000 files in 3 minutes on
GFS isn't unreasonable considering that it must get and release the gfs
locks. In this scenario, you are averaging about 6ms per file stat. When
we did our tests, all of our subsystems (FC, Net, CPU, Memory, Disk) were
near idle. I think the 6ms is simply the accumulated latency of all the
subsystems involved. There is a lot of work happening in that short period
of time.

-A
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE