[Linux-cluster] Oracle Shared-Nothing

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon May 12 17:12:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 11:14 +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to implement a shared-nothing active/passive failover cluster
> for Oracle 10g.  RAC is out of budget.
>
> I'm looking at drbd + heartbeat or cluster suite.
>
> Any experiences? recommendations? gotchas?
>
> In particular, any idea whether Oracle would support a non-RAC setup?

They support non-RAC configurations, but I doubt they would support
running the database on DRBD.  You should call Oracle on this one.

Also, I **think** buying Oracle Database 10g Release 2 these days gets
you Oracle's failover technology called Cluster Ware - so you might not
need heartbeat or rgmanager (Cluster Suite component that provides
failover for off-the-shelf apps).

Again, call Oracle and ask.  They want your money, so surely they will
answer your questions ;)

If you're going to spend the money for Oracle (and you need failover
support), I'd really recommend getting a FC or iSCSI RAID array with
dual redundant internal controllers and a remote power switch.

There are some good SCSI arrays available at lower price points than FC
and often iSCSI solutions, as well (but stay away from JBOD/host-RAID
configurations).

-- Lon