[Linux-cluster] Re: [Cluster-devel] logging: final call on configuration, output and implementation

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 04:55:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 17:46 -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> I disagree with a global debug keyword.
>  At one time I thought it was a
> good idea but that time has long since passed.  The idea of turning
> debug to on and then having all debug output go to syslog is frightening
> and will result in lost messages.  While it appears this proposal
> includes the selectable log output filtering per output medium as was
> discussed already, it is unclear how the debug keyword affects this.  It
> would simply make sense to change the file's log priority or the
> syslog's log priority if that is the behavior desired and then no need
> for any extra keyword.

You have these two situations:

print_log(LOG_DEBUG, "doing this and that....\n");

if (debug) { /*
 gather_some_data_that_is_very_expensive_operation_to_do_all_the_time();
 print_log(LOG_DEBUG, "print those extra data\n");
}

as it is now, it would basically be an alias to set logpriority to DEBUG
but enables people to execute debugging code conditionally and as I
wrote it is an easy keyword to remember compared to
syslog_priority/logpriority.

Fabio