[Linux-cluster] clustering inside of vmware -- fencing

Andrew A. Neuschwander andrew at ntsg.umt.edu
Thu Oct 9 20:55:57 UTC 2008

VMware::VmPerl.pm a deprecated api. The current vmware perl api is the
VI Perl Toolkit (VMware::VIM2Runtime). I have a centos 5.2 gfs cluster
running in a VMware ESX cluster (with virtualcenter). I have a mix of
CentOS VMs and physical machines participating in the GFS cluster.

I modified the fence_vixel agent to use this new api, and called it
fence_vi3. It's fairly basic and works, but could use some improvements.
I've been using it for almost a year:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2007-November/msg00056.html

The old fence_vmware agent logs into a single ESX/GSX server using the
old api and resets the targeted guest. fence_vi3 logs into the
VirtualCenter and resets the requested VM. This is needed in a ESX
cluster, since you don't know on which ESX machine your Centos/Rhel
guest is running.

I don't know if this is a supported setup, but it works. I've done a lot
of heavy testing and optimizing of gfs in this setup. My volume group
which hold my gfs filesystems is 14TB and has been in production for a
good 6 months. Obviously, YMMV.

-Andrew
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE