[Linux-cluster] Cluster monitoring

jim parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 15:41:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 10:35 -0500, Jeff Macfarland wrote:
> Federico Simoncelli wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >   what is the best way to generate mail notification for cluster
> > events such as joins/leaves/fences?
> > I would rather not use an external monitor system like nagios and
> > ganglia but looks like those are the best practice for now.
> > Is there any other monitoring application/technique that I should consider?
>
> I've been meaning to look into this as well. Best I can find is called
> "RIND" (are we tired of recursive acronyms yet?)
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/EventScripting

One easy way for just fence notifications would be to write a fence
agent that sent mail to a mail list you could include as one of its
cluster.conf attributes. Then place it in each fence block you define as
the first fence action.

Extra credit would be mailing the success/failure of the fence
attempt.  :)

-J