[Linux-cluster] GFS reserved blocks?

Kevin Anderson kanderso at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 20:29:41 UTC 2008

For gfs, the recommended solution is to periodically run gfs_tool
reclaim on your filesystems at a time of your choosing.  Depending on
the frequency of your deletes, this might be once a day or once a week.
The only downside is the during the reclaim operation, the filesystem is
locked from other activities.  As the reclaim is relatively fast, this
doesn't really cause a problem.  But scheduling the command to be run
during "idle" times of the day will mitigate the impact.

We attempted to come up with a method of doing this automatically, but
there are deadlock lock issues between gfs and the vfs layer that
prevent it from being implemented.  In addition, there is still the
issue of when is the right time to do the reclaim, and this would be
application specific.

So, just run gfs_tool reclaim if your storage is getting consumed by
metadata storage.

Kevin