[Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared storage issue

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 16:01:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:10 +0800, Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up a two node cluster, I use active/standby mode to run
> my service. I need even one node's hardware failure such as power cut,
> another node still can handover from failure node and the provide the
> service.
>
> In my environment, I have no shared storage, so I can not use quorum
> disk. Is there any other way to implement it? I searched and found
> 'tiebreaker IP' may feed my request, but I can not found any hints on
> how to configure it ?

Since you have no shared data, you may be able to run without fencing.

That should be pretty straightforward, but you might need to comment out
the "fenced" startup from the cman init script.

In this case, the worst that will happen is both nodes will end up
running the service at the same time in the event of a network
partition.

The other down side is that if the cluster divides into two partitions
and later merges back into one partition, I don't think certain things
will work right; you will need to detect this event and reboot one of
the nodes.

-- Lon