[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

[Linux-cluster] RE:Two nodes cluster issue without shared storage issue



Hi Lon

I think you should try Linux Virtual Server (  LVS ) here this will definitely  help you.
You can see the details over here .

www.linuxvirtualserver.org

Br,Varun

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM, <linux-cluster-request redhat com> wrote:
Send Linux-cluster mailing list submissions to
       linux-cluster redhat com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
       https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cluster
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
       linux-cluster-request redhat com

You can reach the person managing the list at
       linux-cluster-owner redhat com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Linux-cluster digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: Two nodes cluster issue without shared storage        issue
     (Lon Hohberger)
  2. Re: Two nodes cluster issue without shared storage        issue
     (Flavio Junior)
  3. RE: Two nodes cluster issue without shared        storageissue
     (Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du))
  4. RE: Two nodes cluster issue without shared        storageissue
     (Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du))
  5. Re: Cluster/GFS issue. (Rajagopal Swaminathan)
  6. Re: Cluster/GFS issue. (Rajagopal Swaminathan)
  7. cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests are on  different
     hosts  (Panigrahi, Santosh Kumar)
  8. RE: cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests are ondifferent
     hosts  (Jeff Sturm)
  9. Cluster and LVG/LV (Chris Edwards)
 10. RE: Two nodes cluster issue without sharedstorageissue
     (Jeff Sturm)
 11. RE: Cluster and LVG/LV (Jeff Sturm)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:01:57 -0400
From: Lon Hohberger <lhh redhat com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared
       storage issue
To: linux clustering <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID: <1224777717 32460 92 camel ayanami>
Content-Type: text/plain

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:10 +0800, Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up a two node cluster, I use active/standby mode to run
> my service. I need even one node's hardware failure such as power cut,
> another node still can handover from failure node and the provide the
> service.
>
> In my environment, I have no shared storage, so I can not use quorum
> disk. Is there any other way to implement it? I searched and found
> 'tiebreaker IP' may feed my request, but I can not found any hints on
> how to configure it ?

Since you have no shared data, you may be able to run without fencing.

That should be pretty straightforward, but you might need to comment out
the "fenced" startup from the cman init script.

In this case, the worst that will happen is both nodes will end up
running the service at the same time in the event of a network
partition.

The other down side is that if the cluster divides into two partitions
and later merges back into one partition, I don't think certain things
will work right; you will need to detect this event and reboot one of
the nodes.

-- Lon



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:42:40 -0200
From: "Flavio Junior" <billpp gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared
       storage issue
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <58aa8d780810230942s421d74dfqaf61190be764b57 mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Well.. If you are using an active/standby scenario, without a shared
storage, probably you can make use of CARP/UCARP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol
http://www.ucarp.org/project/ucarp


--

Flávio do Carmo Júnior aka waKKu


On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Lon Hohberger <lhh redhat com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:10 +0800, Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to set up a two node cluster, I use active/standby mode to run
> > my service. I need even one node's hardware failure such as power cut,
> > another node still can handover from failure node and the provide the
> > service.
> >
> > In my environment, I have no shared storage, so I can not use quorum
> > disk. Is there any other way to implement it? I searched and found
> > 'tiebreaker IP' may feed my request, but I can not found any hints on
> > how to configure it ?
>
> Since you have no shared data, you may be able to run without fencing.
>
> That should be pretty straightforward, but you might need to comment out
> the "fenced" startup from the cman init script.
>
> In this case, the worst that will happen is both nodes will end up
> running the service at the same time in the event of a network
> partition.
>
> The other down side is that if the cluster divides into two partitions
> and later merges back into one partition, I don't think certain things
> will work right; you will need to detect this event and reboot one of
> the nodes.
>
> -- Lon
>
> --
> Linux-cluster mailing list
> Linux-cluster redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cluster
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/attachments/20081023/0fdd088f/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:35:48 +0800
From: "Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)" <mockey chen nsn com>
Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared
       storageissue
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <174CED94DD8DC54AB888B56E103B118742183A CNBEEXC007 nsn-intra net>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="gb2312"



>-----Original Message-----
>From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
>[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of ext Lon
>Hohberger
>Sent: 2008Äê10ÔÂ24ÈÕ 0:02
>To: linux clustering
>Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without
>shared storageissue
>
>On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:10 +0800, Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to set up a two node cluster, I use active/standby
>mode to run
>> my service. I need even one node's hardware failure such as
>power cut,
>> another node still can handover from failure node and the
>provide the
>> service.
>>
>> In my environment, I have no shared storage, so I can not use quorum
>> disk. Is there any other way to implement it? I searched and found
>> 'tiebreaker IP' may feed my request, but I can not found any
>hints on
>> how to configure it ?
>
>Since you have no shared data, you may be able to run without fencing.
>
>That should be pretty straightforward, but you might need to
>comment out the "fenced" startup from the cman init script.
>
>In this case, the worst that will happen is both nodes will
>end up running the service at the same time in the event of a
>network partition.
>
>The other down side is that if the cluster divides into two
>partitions and later merges back into one partition, I don't
>think certain things will work right; you will need to detect
>this event and reboot one of the nodes.
>
>-- Lon

I know such defects in two node cluster.
Since our service is mission critical, I want to know how to avoid such failure case ?

Thanks.





------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:41:11 +0800
From: "Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)" <mockey chen nsn com>
Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared
       storageissue
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <174CED94DD8DC54AB888B56E103B118742183D CNBEEXC007 nsn-intra net>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="gb2312"

>
>       From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of ext Flavio Junior
>       Sent: 2008Äê10ÔÂ24ÈÕ 0:43
>       To: linux clustering
>       Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared storageissue
>
>
>       Well.. If you are using an active/standby scenario, without a shared storage, probably you can make use of CARP/UCARP
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol
>       http://www.ucarp.org/project/ucarp
>

I think CARP will fullfill my current request, but we have choose RHCS as our cluster suite. It is very difficult to change it.
Anyhow, Thanks for your suggestion.



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:41:33 +0530
From: "Rajagopal Swaminathan" <raju rajsand gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Cluster/GFS issue.
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <8786b91c0810240011u71e91161ia374c591d5f3cadb mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Greetings,

2008/10/23 Allgood, John <jallgood ohl com>
<snip>

>  Here is the problem that we are having. We can't on an consistent basic
> get the GFS filesystem mounted. On
>
<snip>

Just a hunch... Cant say if it will help...

Have you tried putting the mount command in rc.local instead of /etc/fstab?

Regards,

Rajagopal
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/attachments/20081024/c28769a4/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:44:16 +0530
From: "Rajagopal Swaminathan" <raju rajsand gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Cluster/GFS issue.
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <8786b91c0810240014g7ff6ed7cw5b8fd853b9ca256c mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>
> 2008/10/23 Allgood, John <jallgood ohl com>
> <snip>
>
>>  Here is the problem that we are having. We can't on an consistent basic
>> get the GFS filesystem mounted. On
>>
> <snip>
>
> Just a hunch... Cant say if it will help...
>
> Have you tried putting the mount command in rc.local instead of /etc/fstab?
>
start clvmd too in rc.local. of course before mounting and use the commands
in chain using &&

>
> Regards,
>
> Rajagopal
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/attachments/20081024/c01faa0e/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:29:05 +0530
From: "Panigrahi, Santosh Kumar" <Santosh Panigrahi in unisys com>
Subject: [Linux-cluster] cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests are
       on      different hosts
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <D566E8CF3538B54D95B925CB69CB4D2A16BC0485 inblr-exch1 eu uis unisys com>

Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"

Hello,

I am using RHEL5.2+RHCS and configured a 2 node cluster in XEN virtual
environment for testing purpose only. These 2 cluster nodes are 2
virtual guests (p6pv1, p7pv1) and each virtual guest is on different
hosts/ Dom-0s (p6 & p7). I have already gone through the older questions
on this forum with similar problems and also the wiki page
(http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/VMClusterCookbook ).
But still I have confused a bit regarding the Xen fencing in this
scenarios.
I don't want to do any live migration here and only to do a
failover/failback services between 2 cluster nodes. I want to know
whether I have to configure fencing only between the 2 guests (using
fence_xvm) or also between the 2 hosts (using fence_xvmd) as well, where
as my cluster nodes are 2 Xen guests.

I am configuring the cluster using luci and there options are as
follows.

Fence Daemon Properties:
Post Fail Delay         - 0
Post Join Delay         - 3
Run XVM fence daemon    - tick mark selected

XVM fence daemon key distribution:
Enter a node hostname from the host cluster                     - ?
Enter a node hostname from the hosted (virtual) cluster _ ?

Can someone please help me in this regard?

Regards,
Santosh



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:09:57 -0400
From: "Jeff Sturm" <jeff sturm eprize com>
Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests
       are     ondifferent hosts
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <64D0546C5EBBD147B75DE133D798665F0180693B hugo eprize local>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"

Santosh,

The hosts are responsible for fencing the guests, so, as far as I know
it is not possible to use fence_xvm without also configuring fence_xvmd.

In our configuration we run an "inner" cluster amongst the DomU guests,
and an "outer" cluster amongst the Dom0 hosts.  The outer cluster starts
fence_xvmd whenever cman starts.  The fence_xvmd daemon listens for
multicast traffic from fence_xvm.  We have a dedicated VLAN for this
traffic in our configuration.  (Make sure your routing tables are
adjusted for this, if needed--whereas aisexec figures out what
interfaces to use for multicast automatically based on the bind address,
fence_xvm does not.)

If your Dom0 hosts are not part of a cluster, it may be possible to run
fence_xvmd standalone.  We have not attempted to do so, so I can't say
whether it can work.

Jeff

> -----Original Message-----
> From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
> [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of
> Panigrahi, Santosh Kumar
> Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 7:59 AM
> To: linux clustering
> Subject: [Linux-cluster] cluster between 2 Xen guests where
> guests are ondifferent hosts
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using RHEL5.2+RHCS and configured a 2 node cluster in
> XEN virtual environment for testing purpose only. These 2
> cluster nodes are 2 virtual guests (p6pv1, p7pv1) and each
> virtual guest is on different hosts/ Dom-0s (p6 & p7). I have
> already gone through the older questions on this forum with
> similar problems and also the wiki page
> (http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/VMClusterCookbook ).
> But still I have confused a bit regarding the Xen fencing in
> this scenarios.
> I don't want to do any live migration here and only to do a
> failover/failback services between 2 cluster nodes. I want to
> know whether I have to configure fencing only between the 2
> guests (using
> fence_xvm) or also between the 2 hosts (using fence_xvmd) as
> well, where as my cluster nodes are 2 Xen guests.
>
> I am configuring the cluster using luci and there options are
> as follows.
>
> Fence Daemon Properties:
> Post Fail Delay               - 0
> Post Join Delay               - 3
> Run XVM fence daemon  - tick mark selected
>
> XVM fence daemon key distribution:
> Enter a node hostname from the host cluster                   - ?
> Enter a node hostname from the hosted (virtual) cluster       _ ?
>
> Can someone please help me in this regard?
>
> Regards,
> Santosh
>
> --
> Linux-cluster mailing list
> Linux-cluster redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cluster
>
>



------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:13:07 -0400
From: Chris Edwards <cedwards smartechcorp net>
Subject: [Linux-cluster] Cluster and LVG/LV
To: linux clustering <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <61252CC53A97634BA52256DCF2344FBC66C68DE2FF OFFICEEXCHANGE office smartechcorp net>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

If I am installing multiple Xen VM's in a cluster with shared iSCSI space with Logical Volumes for each virtual machine should I put each LV in its own logical volume group or should I use one logical volume group for all of the LV's?

Thanks!

---

Chris Edwards



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/attachments/20081024/7e71e22c/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:18:08 -0400
From: "Jeff Sturm" <jeff sturm eprize com>
Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without
       sharedstorageissue
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <64D0546C5EBBD147B75DE133D798665F0180693C hugo eprize local>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-2022-jp"

For what it's worth, considerations like these have caused us to abandon any efforts to build a 2-node cluster.

>From this point forward all our RHCS deployments will have a minimum of 3 nodes, even if the 3rd node is a small node that provides no resources and only exists for arbitration purposes.  (It was going to be that, or a quorum disk for our application, but we have no experience running a quorum disk over the long-haul in a production envrironment.)

Hope this helps someone.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
> [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Chen,
> Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
> Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:36 PM
> To: linux clustering
> Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without
> sharedstorageissue
>
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
> >[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of ext Lon
> >Hohberger
> >Sent: 2008 $BG/ (J10 $B7n (J24 $BF| (J 0:02
> >To: linux clustering
> >Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Two nodes cluster issue without shared
> >storageissue
> >
> >On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:10 +0800, Chen, Mockey (NSN - CN/Cheng Du)
> >wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to set up a two node cluster, I use active/standby
> >mode to run
> >> my service. I need even one node's hardware failure such as
> >power cut,
> >> another node still can handover from failure node and the
> >provide the
> >> service.
> >>
> >> In my environment, I have no shared storage, so I can not
> use quorum
> >> disk. Is there any other way to implement it? I searched and found
> >> 'tiebreaker IP' may feed my request, but I can not found any
> >hints on
> >> how to configure it ?
> >
> >Since you have no shared data, you may be able to run
> without fencing.
> >
> >That should be pretty straightforward, but you might need to comment
> >out the "fenced" startup from the cman init script.
> >
> >In this case, the worst that will happen is both nodes will end up
> >running the service at the same time in the event of a network
> >partition.
> >
> >The other down side is that if the cluster divides into two
> partitions
> >and later merges back into one partition, I don't think
> certain things
> >will work right; you will need to detect this event and
> reboot one of
> >the nodes.
> >
> >-- Lon
>
> I know such defects in two node cluster.
> Since our service is mission critical, I want to know how to
> avoid such failure case ?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
> --
> Linux-cluster mailing list
> Linux-cluster redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cluster
>
>



------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:20:04 -0400
From: "Jeff Sturm" <jeff sturm eprize com>
Subject: RE: [Linux-cluster] Cluster and LVG/LV
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Message-ID:
       <64D0546C5EBBD147B75DE133D798665F0180693D hugo eprize local>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Chris,

Are you running a clustered LVM, and do you expect to be able to use Xen
migration?

Jeff


________________________________

       From: linux-cluster-bounces redhat com
[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Chris Edwards
       Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:13 AM
       To: linux clustering
       Subject: [Linux-cluster] Cluster and LVG/LV



       If I am installing multiple Xen VM's in a cluster with shared
iSCSI space with Logical Volumes for each virtual machine should I put
each LV in its own logical volume group or should I use one logical
volume group for all of the LV's?



       Thanks!



       ---



       Chris Edwards







-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/attachments/20081024/5650b4ab/attachment.html

------------------------------

--
Linux-cluster mailing list
Linux-cluster redhat com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cluster

End of Linux-cluster Digest, Vol 54, Issue 31
*********************************************



--
Regards,

Varun Galande
+971505589029

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]