[Linux-cluster] fence start-up issue

I sometimes run into an issue when a node in my 2-node cluster is rebooting and hangs on fenced. It seems it can't communicate with the other node and after the post_join_delay, it fences the other node. This happened again today, and when the second node rebooted after the fence, they were in a split-brain configuration. I saw in the cluster faq, in the cman section, question 6 that the cluster communication network should be the same network as the fencing device. I think this may be my problem but I don't understand why. I'm using HP iLo for fencing and I setup cross-connect cables for the cluster communication between the 2 nodes. Why would having cluster communication and fencing on different networks be an issue?

Thanks for your time

--
Eric Ritchie
Interactive Brokers LLC