[Linux-cluster] Freeze with cluster-2.03.11

Kadlecsik Jozsef kadlec at mail.kfki.hu
Fri Apr 3 06:38:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Wendy Cheng wrote:

> Based on code reading ...
> 1. iput() gets inode_lock (a spin lock)
> 2. iput() calls iput_final()
> 3. iput_final() calls filesystem drop_inode(), followed by
> generic_drop_inode()
> 4. generic_drop_inode() unlock inode_lock after doing all sorts of fun things
> with the inode
>
> So look to me that generic_drop_inode() statement within
> gfs_drop_inode() should be removed. Otherwise you would get double
> unlock and double list free.

I think those function calls are right: iput_final calls either the
filesystem drop_inode function (in this case gfs_drop_inode) or
generic_drop_inode. There's no double call of generic_drop_inode. However
gfs_sync_page_i (and in turn filemap_fdatawrite and filemap_fdatawait) is
now called under inode_lock held and that was not so in previous versions.
But I'm just speculating.

> In short, *remove* line #73 from gfs-kernel/src/gfs/ops_super.c in your
> source and let us know how it goes.

I won't get a chance to start a test before Monday, sorry.

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlec at mail.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary