[Linux-cluster] really reliable?

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Tue Apr 14 16:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Is redhat cluster suite really reliable?  I've been having so much
trouble getting a cluster up and running, I'm beginning to second guess
my decision to use this software stack.

I have 3 nodes (eventually 10) running and set up.  The fencing method
is by a brocade fibre switch.  The ultimate goal of this cluster is to
shared a SAN connected by fibre.

I've installed just the bare minimum (before even getting to GFS) to
test the cluster software.  Just starting cman cluster services fails on
two of the nodes.

Even when I try to reboot the nodes, I can't because the whole system
hangs on various processes that don't ever shut down.  I have to
physically reboot these boxes.

The logs fill up with errors about not being able to connect to cman, etc.

I've been at it for awhile now and am not sure this is the best route
anymore.

Ryan