[Linux-cluster] Two node cluster without quorum disk

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Apr 22 17:29:30 UTC 2009

Hi there,

> > On Wednesday 22 Apr 2009 15:25:32 Ralph Zukeb wrote:
> >> Hello again! Thanks for the tips so far.
> >>
> >> How can I ensure that the node holding the services and resources in a
> >> two node cluster keeps holding them if the two nodes cannot see each
> >> other?
(...)
> I tried this, but when I killed the switch for the cluster traffic,
> BOTH nodes got fenced! Can I avoid this?

You mean you killed the switch for *both* nodes?

RHCS checks the signal on any interface bound to a virtual IP, so if that interface looses signal,
it'll try to relocate all services that include that ip resource. After all, if the virtual ip is on
an interface without signal, clients cannot reach the server and so it's as good as dead for any
practical purpose.

So if my assumption is correct your problem may is related to fence at all, but instead to the with
the way you tested failover. Try unpluging the cable on just one node at a time.

[]s, Fernando Lozano