[Linux-cluster] GFS block size

Mikołaj Radzewicz m.radzewicz at tech.crmedia.pl
Thu Apr 23 15:09:14 UTC 2009

Hello again,
I'm planning to run GFS cluster of two nodes on some SAN storage over
fabric - 4TB ( 5 disk in RAID 5 - with stripe 128k). I'm having some
mixed feelings about setting the GFS block size for my fs...

The nodes are going to hold some WWW files (let say for video streaming)
which can be divided in 3 main groups:
1/3 files smaller 100K
1/3 files about 1M
1/3 files about 2M

I used to use a GFS block size of 4K - the default one but now I'm
wondering of changing it to some greater value like 16K. Does it make
sense and I will be able to notice some performance benefits?? On the
other hand I have read that changing default 4K for GFS isn't advisable.

btw: if it makes some difference some directoris must contain about 50K
files...

--
Mikołaj