[Linux-cluster] RHEL 5.3: Joining fence domain hangs when selinux is enabled

Ian Hayes cthulhucalling at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:26:20 UTC 2009

I'm assuming that you're running the Targeted policy and not the strict
policy...

RHEL5 has a module for ccs, but I haven't taken it apart. The files for
fencing may be incorrectly labeled or the policy doesn't allow fenced to run
correctly.

Look at your /var/log/audit/audit.log files and see what's being denied. You
may want to install sealert and setroubleshootd so you can browse the
messages. First, check the file contexts of the files that are appearing in
your audit logs.  Nothing should be default_t. If anything looks out of
whack, try restoring the correct file contexts with restorecon and see if
the file contexts have changed.  If you're feeling brave, you can start
writing a custom policy module to permit fenced to start up.

The audit logs will tell you everything, and where you will need to start. I
managed to knock out a policy for 389Server in about an hour, but I had the
benefit of just coming back from Redhat's SELinux class.