[Linux-cluster] Is there any backup heartbeat channel

Juan Ramon Martin Blanco robejrm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:29:43 UTC 2009

2009/8/13 Hakan VELIOGLU <veliogluh at itu.edu.tr>

> Thanks for all the answers.
>
> I think there is realy no backup heartbeat channel. Maybe the reason is
> GFS. DLM works on the heartbeat channel. If you lost your heartbeat you lose
> your lock consistency so it is better to fence the other node. For this
> reason I think if you don't have enough network interface on server and
> switch, loosing the heartbeat network may shut all the cluster members.

There is no backup heartbeat channel because you should do the backup at a
operating system level, i.e: bonding
That's why you should use a bonded interface for the heartbeat channel with
at least 2 ethernet slaves; going further (for better redundancy) each of
the slaves should be on a different network card and you should connect the
each slave to a different switch.
But what I am trying to explain, is that you can use that bonded logical
interface also for things different from hearbeat. ;)

Greetings,
Juanra